|The Sustainable Business Network's Southern Awards celebrate businesses making outstanding progress towards sustainability. They recognise those organisations that are providing examples for others to follow.
The Southern Awards were held on August 20th, 2008, in Christchurch.
And the winners are...
Trailblazing SME: Nomad Safaris
Nomad Safaris offer 4WD and quad bike tours of the back-country around Queenstown and Arrowtown
• Nomad Safaris scored highly across all eight sustainability areas with some great initiatives in terms of reducing water usage, community education and minimising and mitigating their environmental effects in what some would consider an unsustainable activity
• They are thinking of the "big" and "small" remedies, for example they have invested in wastewater diversion schemes and the pursuit of alternative fuel options
• A "small" initiative is stopping to pick up "wild rubbish" on their way to and from excursions - a simple act that costs nothing but has positive impact.
Emerging SME: Tasman Bay Vets
Tasman Bay Vets are a vet clinic and also sell pet products. They have two sites, seven full time staff and four part-timers.
• The owners of Tasman Bay Vets demonstrated a total commitment to pursuing a sustainable business model and have achieved great results in what they achieved so far
• With no other nearby Veterinary Practise to garner ideas from, Tasman Vets took the resources supplied in the Get Sustainable Challenge and expanded upon them for their own unique situation (e.g. reducing anaesthetic gas waste)
• They created a model that can now be applied to other practices wanting to change and are a role model for their sector.
Not for Profit: YHA National Office and Christchurch City
YHA New Zealand provide quality budget accommodation and travel services for international and domestic guests. They have 27 wholly owned hostels, and 24 ‘Associate' hostels.
YHA Christchurch City provides quality budget accommodation and travel services for international and domestic guests.
• The judges feel both organisations were worthy winners because they are so closely linked
• Both are to be congratulated for their innovative initiatives from large strategic alliances being made with transport companies that provide sustainable services, to the reusing of old pillowcases as bin liners.
Sustainable Design & Innovation: CarboNZero
CarboNZero, Nationwide is a certification scheme for measuring, managing and mitigating GHG emissions. It is based on solid science and is internationally recognised.
• CarboNZero is a very innovative certification programme, with a sound scientific base
• CarboNZero has made a very significant contribution to sustainability in New Zealand and is also respected and recognised overseas.