Why Toyota is passionate about sustainability
Sustainability is central to a better way of life and a better way of doing business. Protecting the natural environment is vital to the on-going health of our communities, country and economy, and for preserving the quality of the outdoors for our unique "kiwi" lifestyle.
Toyota has placed environmental management as a top business priority by integrating it into the design and production of its vehicles, and every aspect of our operations. Sustainable business practices respect our customers, our staff, our dealers and all the people of New Zealand, which is important to our continued business success.
Achievements by Toyota from a sustainable point of view
Toyota has led the car industry in developing more environmentally responsible vehicles. The mass production of Toyota hybrid vehicles since the late 1990's was instrumental in encouraging the car industry to turn the corner towards more responsible motoring - and compelled other manufacturers to compete on fuel efficiency and lower emissions.
Similarly, Toyota's early adoption of environmental business practices in all aspects of its operations embodies Toyota's forward thinking and long-term approach.
Some key achievements include:
• Vehicle life cycle analysis which reduces the environmental impact in the design, production, distribution, driving and eventual disposal of cars.
• All vehicles are manufactured at ISO 14001 plants, with targets to reduce energy, CO2, water, waste and harmful substances.
• A 20% reduction in CO2 emissions since January 2006 for our NZ operations.
• CarboNZero certification for our business operations since 2006.
• A comprehensive dealer environmental management programme since 2005.
• Top 5 listing in Massey University's Corporate Environmental Responsiveness Survey since 2007.
• Strong engagement with employees through our annual ‘Environment Month' activities and promotion.
Future Toyota plans in sustainability
Toyota has a philosophy of kaizen or ‘continuous improvement' so we're always demanding more from our cars and our daily business practices.
Future plans include continuing to improve the average fuel economy across all vehicles we sell with more fuel efficient and low emission cars. The next couple of years will see the launch of the new Prius, a Camry hybrid and plug-in hybrid to complement the 7 hybrid vehicles we already have available in NZ.
Reducing our company Greenhouse Gas emissions will remain a top priority. Our company-wide GHG strategy aims to maximise energy efficiency as a first step, diversify our electricity mix to include renewable power and offset any remaining carbon emissions and business travel.
Why Toyota has got behind the SBN Awards
Sustainable business practice is about much more than just brand image and business risk. It is about both acknowledging business activities can harm the environment and taking responsibility to reduce those impacts.
The SBN Awards recognises those businesses which are making a real and long-term commitment to society and the environment, not because it's fashionable but because it is the right thing to do. For these reasons Toyota is pleased to be a sponsor of the Awards.