The first and foremost vineyard at Gladstone in the heart of the Wairarapa, Gladstone Vineyard is a family business committed to creating world class wines that express the exceptional characteristics of the region.
Established in 1986, the internationally acclaimed Gladstone Vineyard was the first of a cluster of boutique wineries established on the old riverbed of the Ruamahanga River, in Gladstone.
We aim to craft beautiful wines of extraordinary quality, that display elegance, balance, texture and a unique minerality. Our principal varieties are the internationally acclaimed Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Gris. Easy to drink and food friendly, yet with great aging potential, the wines are true to the vineyard.
The Gladstone Vineyard Wine Garden and Café is an idyllic spot to enjoy seasonal Wairarapa produce matched with Gladstone Vineyard and 12,000 Miles wines.
What or how does your business contribute to a more sustainable NZ?
At Gladstone Vineyard, we are committed to growing our vines and producing our wine in a thoughtful and environmentally responsible manner. We like to call this "intelligent winegrowing". It means making smart, considered decisions about everything we do, with the interests of the land, the vines and the wine top of mind.
Our philosophy is that a healthy vine will produce healthy, quality grapes – and premium wine. To that end we put considerable effort into achieving soil and plant health. We meet or exceed the Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand programme standards in all our practices and are guided by biological and organic principles.
Other things we are doing include:
- developing a wetlands area - a contribution from the sale of our 12,000 Miles wine goes towards this
- freighting our wine overseas by sea
- using 80% recycled lightweight wine bottles (the lighter they are the less fuel used in freight)
- using recycled office paper and recyclable toners and printer consumables
- reusing packaging (wine boxes, case dividers) as much as possible
- recycling glass, plastic, paper, tins and cardboard
- using environmentally-friendly cleaning products across the business
- separating our kitchen waste for composting or feeding to the pigs.
- buying from local and environmentally-friendly suppliers where possible
- thanks to the design of our winery, using natural lighting as a source of daytime light in our winery
- making sustainable and environmental policy a topic at our weekly team meeting.
Certifications & sustainability programmes
Accredited vineyard and winery of Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand
Home block certified organic with BioGro NZ and currently in transition to full organic status
The Gladstone Vineyard Wine Garden and Café is an accredited business with badges for recycling, supporting local businesses, composting, fair trade and sustainable seafood
In 2013, Gladstone Vineyard was a Greater Wellington Finalist in the Ballance Farm Environment Awards 2013If you have any concerns about this listing please contact us