Commonsense Organics Ltd.
Commonsense Organics sells organic and allergy aware food, environmentally friendly products and fair trade goods in the Wellington region. We have shops in Wellington city, Kilbirnie, Kapiti, Lower Hutt and Johnsonville – and an online store.
Commonsense Organics is an independent family business built around a strong trading philosophy. We offer:
- the most extensive selection of organic and gluten free foods in the Wellington region.
- The largest range of fairly traded foods in New Zealand.
- Environmentally sound products for your health, beauty, home and garden.
- Groceries clearly labelled for allergy aware customers.
- We have a great range of groceries and our goods are clearly labelled for allergy aware customers.
- Rigorous research of every stocked item to provide you with a store full of safe, GE-free options (as far as we can ascertain)
What or how does your business contribute to a more sustainable NZ?
We model a different way of doing business based on a respect for our dependence on the land and its resources and our responsibility to preserve it for future generations and other species. To do this we:
• Support organic growers and processors
• Measure, control and offset our carbon footprint
• Ensure the products we sell and the materials we use are sustainably harvested and responsibly made
• Respect and protect matauranga Maori (traditional knowledge)
• Support people to make sustainable choices in their own lives through the products and information we offer.
We support our staff and pay fair wages, running our business in a financially sustainable way to ensure long-term employment opportunities for them and for our suppliers.
We love to see local projects which reflect and promote our values, and we provide financial and other support to help them flourish. Community/sustainability projects we support include Mana Recovery (a recycling business which provides employment for people with mental health needs), Nga Tamariki a Rongo (organic gardens in decile one schools), bicycle-powered composting and urban farming and many more.
Certifications & sustainability programmes
• BioGro organic certification
• 10 Conscious Consumer badges (the highest number for any lunchbar)
• Fairtrade certification
• Sustainability measured using the Global Reporting Initiative
Sustainable Business Network Award 2002If you have any concerns about this listing please contact us