EcoMatters Environment Trust.
EcoMatters Environment Trust provides information and inspiration for sustainable living, including green building and renovation, waste minimisation, recycling, water conservation, organic gardening, weed removal, stream restoration and more.
EcoMatters is a charitable trust based in New Lynn, Auckland. Our Environment Centre showcases sustainable, cost-effective ideas for your home and garden, and offers a range of services. We also deliver a range of community-based environmental initiatives, including stream restoration, events, and support for neighbourhood clean-ups.
EcoMatters Environment Centre
Visit our Environment Centre for information and displays on solar hot water and energy efficiency, green building and renovating, organic gardens and permaculture, waste minimisation, composting, and more. The centre is open to visit six days a week – Mon-Fri 10am-4pm, and Sat 10am-1pm. We are closed on public holidays and over the Christmas period until the second week of Jan.
At EcoMatters Environment Centre you can:
- Find information and advice on a wide range of sustainable living topics
- Recycle things you can't recycle in your home recycling bin, like plastic bags, polystyrene, batteries, and more (charges may apply, visit our website for more information)
- Drop off electronic waste for recycling (charges apply)
- Browse our retail collection for handy eco products like reusable coffee cups, stainless steel drink bottles and a variety of composting systems
- Wander our large organic gardens and pick up some handy advice from the informative signage
- Join our library to borrow books and DVDs
Gain skills and knowledge to live more sustainably. Our workshops cover a wide range of sustainability subjects, from solar technologies to organic gardening to upcycling.
Workshops are on Wednesday evenings or Saturday mornings - visit our website to see what's coming up.
EcoMatters in the Community
We support communities to care for their environments. Current initiatives include:
- Stream restoration projects
- Fighting invasive weeds in the Waitakere Ranges
- Improving water quality in West Coast lagoons by reducing contaminant input from septic tanks and long drops
- Supporting neighbourhood clean-ups
Wash Against Waste
Wash Against Waste is a pop-up unit for events that allows you to wash dishes so you don't have to use disposable items. The trailer comes fully equipped with a solar powered washing system, crockery and cutlery. All you need is a source of power, water, and some helping hands. Find out more about getting Wash Against Waste at your next event.
EcoWest Festival and EcoDay
EcoWest is our annual month-long festival of diverse events celebrating the people and projects caring for the West Auckland environment and connecting you with a myriad of opportunities to discover, make, regenerate and learn. EcoWest 2016 will run from 12 March to 10 April.
EcoDay is an annual event held at EcoMatters Environment Centre, bringing together community environmental groups, green businesses, ethical food vendors and local entertainers to create a fun, free and family-friendly day out. EcoDay 2016 will take place on Sunday 3 April.
What or how does your business contribute to a more sustainable NZ?
We provide access to high quality information and resources about how people can practically make their households, neighbourhoods and lives more sustainable. We offer a wide range of services, in-depth education programmes and workshops, as well as provide opportunities for other social, environment and community focussed organisations to work alongside us – creating a true “sustainability hub” right in the heart of West Auckland.