Wildland Consultants Limited.
Wildlands provides specialist skills in relation to ecology, biodiversity, ecological restoration and revegetation, ecological effects, environmental monitoring, indigenous flora and fauna, exotic pest plants and animals, and wetland restoration.
Wildland Consultants Ltd is a progressive ecological consultancy. Since 1985, the company has been committed to the care and enhancement of our natural environment. Wildlands provides high quality ecological information, advice and technical services to a wide range of central government, local government, NGOs, trusts, and private clients including large corporates. The company works throughout New Zealand and the Pacific, with offices in Rotorua (head office), Auckland, Hamilton, Tauranga, Whakatane, Wellington, Christchurch, and Dunedin.
- Implementation - restoration planting, revegetation, weed control, pest control (including predators), monitoring, and ongoing wildlands management.
- Large and small scale - extensive track record based on practical experience.
- Rehabilitation and restoration of degraded sites.
Survey and Monitoring
- Survey, assessment, monitoring and management of biodiversity, threatened species, vegetation, fauna, invertebrates, pest plants (weeds), and introduced mammalian pests.
Ecological Evaluations and Solutions
- Assessments of land use effects.
- Sustainable land management.
- Policy and management advice.
- Rehabilitation and ecological restoration.
- Preparation and presentation of expert evidence for hearings and appeals.
- Geographic Information System (GIS) mapping and analysis.
- Threatened plants
- Large and small scale projects.
What or how does your business contribute to a more sustainable NZ?
Our mission statement:
“to provide high quality and cost-effective ecological information, advice, and technical services to enable clients to achieve sustainable management and enhancement of indigenous biodiversity, ecosystems, and resources”.
As an ecological consulting company, Wildlands is all about a more sustainable New Zealand. All of our work has an environmental focus. Key projects that have helped to shape areas of New Zealand include (but are definitely not limited to) our restoration efforts at Norske Skog-Tasman (Kawerau),and our restoration work with Project Twin Streams in Auckland; numerous surveys and assessment of significant natural areas in many districts across New Zealand, which have informed district planning processes; our expert advice at Board of Inquiries and Environment Court hearings, which has helped to ensure many major development decisions are ecologically and scientifically justified; our monitoring programmes ensure iconic natural areas are surviving and thriving.
More information on a range of our projects can be found on our website: www.wildlands.co.nz
All our staff care about the environment too, and within the workplace, Wildlands has the following sustainability policies:
- using fuel efficient vehicles;
- preferentially buying high quality, locally sourced goods;
- recycling paper, plastics, metal and glass;
- composting food scraps;
- reducing the numbers of vehicle movements;
- using public transport or cycling/walking to work and local work meetings;
- bike storage and shower facilities are provided at most offices.
In addition to sustainable business practices, Wildland Consultants Ltd is committed to the development of initiatives to encourage greater involvement of members of local communities in conservation programs. Wildlands staff are actively involved with many community restoration projects around the country, contributing advice on restoration plans, on the ground assistance during plantings and restoration works, and leadership through positions on committees and advisory boards. Talks and presentations at schools and tertiary institutes help engage youth in conservation and local school groups frequently assist with planting days during projects managed by Wildlands.
Wildlands won a major regional award from the Sustainable Business Network in 2005, “presented in recognition of an outstanding contribution to sustainability”.
SCA Hygiene Australasia, Kawerau, a company client, won a significant award from the sustainable Business Network, for a riparian project on the Tarawera River, which was planned and implemented by Wildlands.
Wildlands managed the streamside and riparian restoration of Olympic Park in Auckland which won the “Outstanding Park Award for 2007” (awarded by the New Zealand Recreation Association).
The company managed a large wetland restoration project for Norske Skog Tasman and this has won two awards; from Environment BOP (2000) and a national award under the Ramsar convention from the Minister of Conservation (2001), for industry best practice for wetland restoration.
Restoration of the margins of the Opunuku and Oratia Streams as part of Project Twin Streams for Auckland Council won a ‘Green Ribbon’ award in 2010.