We’re committed to accelerating the creation of the new low carbon circular economy, in which resources are never abandoned to become waste or pollution. This will revitalise Aotearoa New Zealand’s landscapes and oceans and secure a sustainable and equitable future for all.
Here’s how we do that inside our organisation, alongside the work of our projects. We’re always learning, and there is always more that we can do. But from our experience, these are also some of the actions we recommend to all organisations, particularly those in our Network.
Importantly, all our staff have Key Performance Indicators directly linked to these objectives.
- have been estimating our carbon footprint for more than five years
- use the ACE Carbon Calculator and track our monthly emissions
- achieved our carbon emissions goal for 2021, with an estimated 6.6 tonnes (CO2-e), against our ‘carbon budget’ of eight tonnes
- reduced our carbon emissions by 69% from 2019 to 2020, followed by an increase of 13% in 2021
- have reduced our emissions as our business has grown, with reductions in emissions per $ income and emissions per full-time employee
- have a centrally located office with no car parking. This encourages public transport, cycling, walking and running
- have shower facilities, secure bike storage, repair tools and an office e-bike
- shifted online with the pandemic and embraced flexible working to cut our travel
- consider online meetings rather than in person regardless of lockdowns, especially long distance
- run the majority of our Board Meetings online
- cut travel emissions associated with the Sustainable Business Awards by 90% in 2020 compared with 2019. This was done by having the main event online, cutting travel. Emissions dropped again in 2021, when the Awards were entirely online
- took 14 flights in 2021 compared with 21 in 2020 and 108 in 2019. Over the two years this cut related emissions from 14.09 tonnes to 2.28 tonnes (CO2-e)
- offset what we can’t yet cut with Ekos. This includes offsetting our domestic flights at point of purchase and again in our organisational offsetting
- don’t refer to our operations as “carbon neutral” as we don’t yet go through a formal certification process
- have the detail at our fingertips