Sustainability is a big deal at New Zealand Post. As an organisation that’s been around for 178 years, and who wants to be around for at least 178 more, it’s in our DNA.
New Zealand Post is in the business of delivering what people care about – including mail and parcels. We provide courier, logistics, warehousing and distribution services through the CourierPost, Pace and Contract Logistics brands.
New Zealand Post is committed to understanding, managing and measuring our environmental and societal impacts to ensure a sustainable future for our business, our shareholders, our people, our customers and our communities.
NZ Post has a proactive sustainability program and, as a key part of our customers’ and clients’ value chain, we are able to help them achieve their own sustainability goals. Some of our progress and activities include:
- Carbon neutral goal from 2030, supported by our Decarbonisation fund
- Electric vehicles powering deliveries – We have rolled out a fleet for fully electric specialist delivery vehicles (the Paxster) and now have the largest EV fleet in the country. We are also in the process of trialing Electric Vans in our courier fleet.
- Recycling our packaging – we are giving serious consideration to our packaging options, and have a goal to develop sustainable sending solutions that do no harm to the environment. We signed the recent Packaging Declaration affirming our commitment to do this
- Our CEO David Walsh was one of the original 14 to the Climate Leaders Coalition
- Working with our partners – It’s vital our partners share our commitment to sustainability. We work together with suppliers, customers and other partners for improved sustainable outcomes.
- Measuring the value we create – we measure and report the value the business creates across financial and non financial measures using the Integrated Reporting Framework.
- All employees get a day of volunteer leave per year
- Growing social enterprise – we’re been backing our clever friends at the Ākina Foundation since 2012 to help grow the next generation of social enterprise in New Zealand.
- We’re proud to help our communities to be more resilient through a range of initiatives and partnerships including New Zealand Red Cross and the Akina Foundation
- We also won the Partnering for Good award at the 2017 NZI SBN awards for our relationship with Red Cross
Our business has been recognised with several awards in recent years including:
- 2017 Supreme Award at the NZI Sustainable Business Network Awards for the Greatest Contribution to a Sustainable New Zealand
- 2018 New Zealand Procurement Excellence Awards
- Supreme Winner
- Winner – Sustainability Project of the Year
- Our Mailhouses in Auckland and Christchurch have Enviro-Mark Platinum Certification recognising their comprehensive environmental management systems (EMS)
- 2017 Green Ribbon Awards. Finalist, Climate Change Category
- 2015 Sustainable Business Network Judges Commendation, EECA Energy Management Category
- 2015 Human Resource Institute of New Zealand – Award for Corporate Responsibility
- 2013 New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants Award for Best Sustainability Reporting
- 2012 Energy Efficiency and Conservation (EECA) Award for Public Sector, Energy Management and Transport
- More Info
Listing last updated 22/08/2017