Organisation Category: Other Services
Studio Pacific Architecture has an established reputation for award winning architecture, urban design, landscape and interior projects. We work throughout New Zealand and our projects range widely in scale and type. A strong commitment to community is at the heart of what we do.
Studio Pacific is at the forefront of the development of sustainable design in New Zealand architecture and since our inception we have been committed to environmentally sustainable design.
The establishment of the New Zealand Green Building Council in 2005 represented the introduction of a formal rating system for sustainable architecture in New Zealand. In the same year, we designed New Zealand’s first Green Star Rated Building, the Meridian Building on Wellington’s waterfront. Completed in 2007, it is still recognised as one of New Zealand’s most advanced green buildings. Since that time we have been architects for a number of 5 star Green Star new and refurbished buildings. We were also recently overall winners of the Concrete3 Sustainability Awards 2016.
We continue to endeavour to incorporate environmentally sustainable design principles into every project we are involved with and we are always actively engaged in looking for new and innovative sustainable technologies. There are several aspects of our practice in which we are leaders in the field in terms of sustainability: infrastructure, workplace design, heritage, education and housing. We continually strive toward improvement in the environmental performance of our projects and with this in mind we are currently developing a ‘Green Overlay’ to assist all studio staff to be more informed in their project work.
We are equally passionate about our in-house sustainability. Our entire team is responsible for making sensible decisions to reduce our impact on the environment.
We work together to:
- Reduce any unnecessary consumption of products
- Reuse items to get the most out of them
- Recycle effectively
Our in-house Sustainability Group drives our internal sustainability initiatives.
To date, this includes:
• Waste audits, resulting in the implementation of an effective waste management and composting system, including composting and e-waste.
• Transport audits, resulting in the promotion of smarter transport decisions, including the purchase of a Studio bike and wet weather gear.
• Circular Economy Office Fit-out. Currently underway is our own office fit-out which is a world first project applying the Circular Economy Model Office design principals. The CEMO declaration for this project is due to be published in 2018 at the completion of the construction.
Our Sustainability Group also actively looks for and identifies potential impacts of our business activities on the environment and seeks to avoid or mitigate them.
As early as 2008 we were finalists in the Small Business Trailblazer section of the Sustainable Business Network Awards 2008.
Supporting our community is an important component of our Studio Pacific’s ethos where social responsibilities are taken seriously. Studio Pacific has an ‘Our Community’ Group within the Studio that provides social support in various ways, including:
1. Maintaining close relationships with various local schools and assisting them in a variety of ways e.g. through financial support, donations of goods, hosting their students, etc
2. Making regular monetary donations to charities
3. Supporting the Wellington City Mission Food Bank and other similar organisations
4. Cooking at Ronald McDonald House
5. Work on Habitat for Humanity housing projects
6. Providing work experience opportunities for students interested in careers in the design field
7. Assisting tertiary providers with design reviews etc
8. Providing services to some projects on a pro bono basis
Listing last updated 21/09/2017