Organisation Category: Manufacturing
Landcare Research is New Zealand’s foremost environmental research organisation specialising in sustainable management of land resources, optimising primary production, enhancing biodiversity and increasing the resource efficiency of businesses.
We help New Zealand make more informed decisions about the land. Our research helps better protect nature, manage our soils and land, improve pest control, and reduce global warming. A Crown Research Institute, we mostly undertake research for central and local government but we also do work for the private sector and overseas. Our subsidiary, Enviro-Mark Solutions Ltd meets the needs of businesses and other organisations who want credibility in their environmental actions, especially greenhouse gas management.
Biodiversity and biosecurity:
Biodiversity and biosecurity decision makers need easy access to accurate information about New Zealand's native and introduced species. Landcare Research manages a number of nationally significant collections and databases – of plants, insects, fungi and plant disease pathogens – which form the backbone of these information sources. We have developed a national system for objective assessment of biodiversity which provides a framework for government, sectors and businesses to report their environmental performance.
Research and product development in the area of pest control delivers improved effectiveness and reduced environmental impacts from pest control operations.
Landcare Research is recognised as a world leader in weed biological control – the use of one living thing to control another. We have introduced effective controls for ragwort, St John's wort, broom and tradescantia which are already making a difference to farms and parks.
Innovative management of land and water resources is critical for the economy and the environment. We deliver research, consultancy, models and tools which support sustainable land use. Here’s a few examples:
• Precision Irrigation helps to match the need of a crop with the water holding capacity of the soil so that water use and nutrient leaching are reduced.
• S-Map Online provides land users with a wealth of soil information which helps farmers to improve productivity and minimise environmental impacts
• Land Environments of New Zealand (LENZ) is a quantitatively-based classification of New Zealand's terrestrial environments that assists biodiversity conservation and natural resources management at all levels throughout New Zealand.
Business and Society:
To help businesses and community group’s access and use the results of our research we have developed a range of tools and services. These can be found in the Resources section on our website. Here are a couple of examples:
• The Nature Services Plant Selection Guide helps you build a list of plants suitable for your location and the purpose of the planting. For instance, if you need to create a riparian strip in the Kaipara or a rain garden in Hamilton the guide will point you to the right plants to use in each situation.
• EcoGene provides DNA based diagnostics for species identification, pest monitoring and disease screening. EcoGene helps food companies ensure that ingredients and products are not contaminated and labelled correctly.
And there’s lots more available including maps, identification keys for native plants and animals, laboratory and diagnostic services and education tools.
Listing last updated 22/08/2017