Entries to New Zealand’s pre-eminent sustainability awards have now closed. Good luck to all the entrants!
The NZI Sustainable Business Network Awards, which have been running for 17 years, recognise and celebrate success in sustainability.
They are free to enter and open to anyone in New Zealand. They’re a great way to celebrate your sustainability progress.
Finalists will be announced at the end of August. They will be asked to complete an additional entry form for the final round of judging.
The winners will be revealed at a black tie Awards ceremony
on 28 November on Auckland’s waterfront.
Tickets to this sell-out event will go on sale at the end of August.
Check out our handy Guide to Entering the NZI Sustainable Business Network Awards.
There are 11 Award categories to enter. Entry is open to anyone, including individuals, organisations and collaborations/partnerships — large or small.
- Sustainability Superstar Award
- This award, sponsored by Enviro-Mark Solutions, celebrates a person who inspires and leads others to make a difference.
- Communicating for Change Award
- This award, sponsored by Cadence Communications, will recognise an organisation communicating sustainability effectively to inspire change.
- Hardwired for Social Good Award
- This award, sponsored by Alsco, will be presented to an organisation that is consistently improving people’s lives through its day to day business practices.
- Partnering for Good Award
- This award, sponsored by Ministry for Primary Industries, will be presented to organisations that have formed partnerships to generate positive impacts on people’s lives – on health, nutrition, housing, employment, community and more.
- Going Circular Award
- This award, sponsored by Auckland Council, will be presented to an organisation that is making demonstrable progress towards going circular.
- Efficiency Champion Award
- This award, sponsored by Ricoh, will be presented to an organisation making significant resource saving improvements to its operations.
- Smarter Transport Award
- This award, sponsored by New Zealand Transport Agency, will be presented to an organisation that is moving New Zealand’s transport or tourism to renewables, using clever design, new technology or behaviour change.
- Revolutionising Energy Award
- This award, sponsored by EECA, will be presented to an organisation that is transforming its own energy system or enabling a systemic shift to renewable energy.
- Transforming Food Award
- This award, sponsored by Yealands Family Wines, will be presented to an organisation that is transforming the food system to create a positive impact on people or the environment.
- Restoring Nature Award
- This award, sponsored by the Department of Conservation, will be presented to a business taking a leadership role in restoring New Zealand’s nature.
- Millennial on a Mission
- This award, sponsored by The Spinoff, celebrates a young person who is driving sustainability change within their organisation or the wider community.
- NZI Transforming New Zealand Award
- This is our Supreme Award, presented to an organisation that is performing outstandingly well in all aspects of sustainability.
The judges for the 2019 NZI Sustainable Business Network Awards are leaders in sustainability and business communities.
Awards Winners 2018
Congratulations to all the winners, commendations and finalists of the 2018 NZI Sustainable Business Network Awards.
- NZI Transforming New Zealand (Supreme Award)
Winner City Rail Link Finalists Wā Collective Ethique
- Sustainability Superstar
Sponsored by Enviro-mark Solutions Winner Tracy Brown Commendation Dave Maslen Finalists Steve Bush Karen Fifield MNZM David Ivory Mike Murphy Kirsten Taylor Tony Wheeler
- Communicating for Change
Sponsored by Cadence Communications Winner Wā Collective Commendation Countdown Commendation The Rubbish Trip Finalists Agricom Fuji Xerox NZ GoodFor Pathfinder Asset Management Pohatu Penguins/Plunge NZ Sustainability Trust
- Efficiency Champion
Sponsored by Ricoh Winner City Rail Link Commendation Auckland District Health Board Commendation Fonterra Pahiatua Finalists Air New Zealand AUT University Civic Contractors
- Going Circular
Sponsored by Auckland Council Winner Ethique Commendation NZAgbiz Finalists Auckland District Health Board Christchurch Airport + Fulton Hogan (PlastiPhalt) Flight Plastics Fuji Xerox NZ GoodFor Innocent Packaging Ricoh NZ SKYCITY + Fonterra (Moo2Shampoo) Vinnies Wellington
- Smarter Transport
Sponsored by WSP Opus Winner Yoogo Share Commendation Waste Management NZ Finalists Civic Contractors EnviroNZ Mevo Tranzit Group
- Revolutionising Energy
Sponsored by EECA Business Winner emhTrade Commendation Red Stag Timber Commendation solarcity Finalists Fonterra (Electric Milk) Watercare
- Transforming Food
Sponsored by Yealands Family Wines Winner Our Land of Milk and Honey Commendation Kai Ika Finalists Better Burger EnviroNZ Everybody Eats Jersey Girl Organics Prima Roastery Wise Boys
- Restoring Nature
Sponsored by Department of Conservation Winner Auckland Whale & Dolphin Safari Commendation Tahi Commendation Te Whangai Trust Finalists Agricom Banks Track NZ + Pohatu Penguins Plunge NZ Fulton Hogan Goodnature Real Journeys Stu Muir Tongariro River Rafting
- Hardwired for Social Good
Winner Kilmarnock Enterprises Commendation Sudima Hotels Finalists Auckland District Health Board – Tāmaki Mental Health & Wellbeing initiative Fonterra Karma Cola Munch Cupboard My Cup NZ Rangi Ruru Girls School State of Grace Z Energy
- Partnering for Good
- Millennial on a Mission
Sponsored by Ministry of Youth Development Winner Olie Body Commendation Maddison McQueen-Davies Commendation Olivia Philpott Finalists Finn Lawrence Catherine Lea Siddhartha Mehta Holly Norton Danny Pritchard
Thank you to our amazing partners who have made the 2019 NZI Sustainable Business Network Awards possible.