Associate Project and Partnership Manager
This role is responsible for supporting and managing key elements of SBN’s strategic projects, with a particular focus on the circular economy. The role will incorporate a degree of flexibility to ensure excellent delivery of projects via a collaborative approach across the SBN team.
Specific duties and responsibilities
- Take ownership of project activities, with guidance and support from programme managers and project leads.
- Manage stakeholder relationships.
- Contribute to establishing project scopes and create documents for project requirements.
- Coordinate internal resources and third parties.
- Coordinate schedule of activities related to the projects.
- Ensure project elements are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget.
- Monitor projects on a regular basis, evaluating progress and quality and managing issue resolution process to ensure corrective actions are taken.
- Maintain the quality of all project document/data to ensure the integrity of a project.
- Collect and analyse data and report impact results.
- Communicate project progress and issues to internal and external stakeholders.
- Identify impact project opportunities and support to bring on-board partners and investment.
- Identify opportunities for project improvements and using resources more effectively, coordinating / negotiating associated changes with managers.
- General support tasks across SBN’s projects
Skills, Experience and Education
The ideal candidate will have university qualification in sustainability (or a related field) and 2+ years project management experience (or working in a dynamic project delivery environment). Strong understanding of and engagement with the circular economy is preferred.
Key skills and experience
- Good knowledge and very strong interest in sustainability, preferably gained from an applied setting (i.e. work or tertiary study).
- Project Management – experience and proficiency in supporting projects and managing multiple tasks in parallel, meeting deadlines, with successful outcomes realised and reported.
- Solution mindset – analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Strong sense of accountability and ownership – understand your role and accept individual responsibility for seeing a task through to its completion (end-to-end), understand when and how to escalate, take appropriate risk (avoid unnecessary risk) and understand the impact of decisions.
- Ability and willingness to show initiative, adapt to change and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Relationship management – the ability to build relationships and partnerships with multiple and diverse stakeholders.
- Communication skills – ability and confidence in all levels of verbal and written communication
Preferred skills and experience
- Sales and negotiation – able to bring onboard funding for projects.
- Group facilitation – ability to facilitate diverse groups to achieve outcomes.
- Systems thinking – the ability to understand the ‘big picture’, observe changes within systems, identify patterns and trends, change perspectives, and identify connections and influences within and between systems.
- Entrepreneurial spirit – passionate, creative, positive, resilient and highly driven to achieve outcomes.
- Understanding of tikanga and Te Ao Maori worldview.
We operate flexible working conditions with the ability to split work days between office and home as required.
Please apply for this role via Seek.
A bit about us as an organisation
The Sustainable Business Network (SBN) is a social enterprise made up of businesses, governmental agencies and organisations located across the country. Established in October 2002, SBN is the largest and longest-standing organisation dedicated to sustainable business in New Zealand.
Our network consists of hundreds of progressive organisations and people that collectively invest in and act on system change. We are focused on Acting on Climate, Designing out Waste and Regenerating Nature.
As an organisation we are committed to supporting and learning from Māori and indigenous peoples and their relationship with the environment. The following whakatauki helps to guide this within our organisation. Manaaki whenua, manaaki tāngata, haere whakamua – If we care for the land, if we care for people, we can move forward into the future.
We are looking for someone aligned with our kaupapa, with strong organisation skills, attention to detail and a passion to constantly improve.
Qualifications & experience
- Previous office admin/manager experience required
- Sound knowledge of sustainable work practices required
Tasks & responsibilities
- First point of contact for SBN –
- Welcome guests to SBN’s office
- Respond and direct incoming emails & phone calls to the SBN team
- Assist in the onboarding process for new hires
- Demonstrate whanaungatanga and manakitanga
- Support the SBN team when needed –
- Address employee queries regarding office issues
- Coordinate with IT department on all office equipment
- Arrange travel, meetings and appointments as needed
- Support CEO and manager with Board and AGM related meetings
- Update and maintain office policies as necessary
- Running a model sustainable office –
- Organise office operations and procedures
- Work with staff to demonstrate the best of social and environmental actions
- Work to reduce office waste
- Ensure office meets Health & Safety standards
- Arrange first aid training and fire warden training for staff
- Keep office to high cleanliness standard and supplies well stocked
- Calculate monthly office carbon footprint and actively work with team to reduce it
- Follow our circular and smart office guides in the running of the office
- Ensure our Network gets excellent support –
- Work with teams to ensure all our network contacts, details and data are kept up to date in SBN’s systems
- Manage the SBN CRM system
- Follow up with the wider team to ensure all investor network queries and requests for information have been responded to
- Manage the new join processing, renewal invoices and resignations for the network
- Add impact investor events to the website
- Event Support –
- Support the Engagement Manager with our annual awards and other upskilling and connecting events
- Provide on the ground support for SBN events
- Run SBN webinars as needed
APPLICANTS: Please detail your experience in running a sustainable office in your resume/cover letter and your commitment to sustainability.
SBN Board member
Please note, our intern programme is temporarily on hold due to Covid-19 restrictions and limited capacity.
At SBN staff and interns work together to help deliver a range of services to members both in person and online. Members are encouraged to make a contribution towards our four transformation areas by providing expertise, collaborating on projects, participating in events and conferences, or showcasing their work at our annual Awards and other events.
Internships are unpaid voluntary positions. They are often filled by students who are working towards or have completed an academic course of study and usually have a specific focus to complete a particular task or project.
At SBN you’ll gain knowledge and experience in sustainability from our leading sustainability practitioners and we hope that you will gain both personal and job satisfaction.