PURPOSE OF POSITION
The role of the Project Manager is to plan, coordinate and deliver a new SBN website – managing the build from the proposal stage, to the technical work up, and finally to the delivery of the website. The Project Manager will work closely with the SBN team and stakeholders to define the project’s objectives and oversee quality control throughout its life cycle. This includes coordinating the efforts of team members and third-party contractors or consultants in order to deliver the new website build.
The initial project will concentrate on building a new website focused on nature and restoration pathway and a sustainable service/product directory. The second stage will focus on integration and retirement of the current SBN website.
The job will be completed in sprints and as such will be ad hoc hours decided in conjunction with the successful applicant.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy & Planning
- Define project scope, goals, and deliverables that support business goals in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders.
- Effectively communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion.
- Liaise with project stakeholders on an ongoing basis.
- Set and continually manage project expectations with team members and other stakeholders.
- Plan and schedule project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools.
- Track project milestones and deliverables. This may include sprint planning and delivery.
- Determine the frequency and content of status reports from the project team, analyse results, and troubleshoot problem areas.
- Define project success criteria and disseminate them to involved parties throughout project life cycle.
- Conduct project post-mortems and create a recommendations report in order to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements.
- Develop best practices and tools for project execution and management.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Estimate the resources and participants needed to achieve project goals.
- Draft and submit budget proposals and recommend subsequent budget changes where necessary.
- Liaise with managers regarding input required from other team members Determine and assess need for additional staff and/or consultants and make the appropriate recruitments, if necessary, during project cycle.
- Direct and manage project development from beginning to end.
- Develop full-scale project plans and associated communications documents.
- Delegate tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel.
- Identify and resolve issues and conflicts within the project team.
- Identify and manage project dependencies and critical path.
- Develop and deliver progress reports, proposals, requirements documentation, and presentations.
PARTNERING TO PLANT PROJECT
Partnering to Plant Aotearoa is part of our million metres streams work and supports nature-based job creation for the social, economic, environmental and cultural capital of Aotearoa. Partnering to Plant is a partnership between the Department of Conservation and SBN with the aim of creating hundreds of nature-based jobs. SBN administers funding and support to small scale conservation programmes across Aotearoa so they can enhance their work forces and restoration outcomes.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Project Coordinator role requires someone with excellent organisational and people skills, initiative, drive and attention to detail. This role is a 6-month fixed term position focused on ensuring that the short and long term Partnering to Plant objectives are met. It is a key support role for the project and will work closely with the Partnering to Plant Project Manager.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Co-ordinate Partnering to Plant Partners and monitor their delivery of projects
- Work with Project Manager to collect and analyse data and report impact results
- Support Project Manager with funding applications
- General support to the Partnering to Plant Project Manager
- Liaise with external partners and ensure they are well supported
- Contribute to research activity
- Assist in the production of resources related to the project
- Provide relevant updates to the communications team
- Track and report project milestones
- Help with coordinating the input and involvement of internal and external parties
- Assist with administration tasks relating to Partnering to Plant and other SBN projects as required
- Create documents for project requirements
- Coordinate schedule of activities related to the projects
- Identify opportunities for project improvements and use resources more effectively and coordinate / negotiate associated changes with managers
- Manage the social media and update the Million Metres website as required
- Good knowledge of sustainability – understanding of and commitment to the health of New Zealand’s fresh water and terrestrial ecosystems
- Project Management – proficiency in working on projects in supporting role – experience managing multiple tasks in parallel, meeting deadlines, with successful outcomes realised and reported
- Solution mindset – focused on finding and implementing solutions to problems that may arise
- Strong sense of accountability and ownership – understanding the role and accepting individual responsibility for seeing a task through to its completion, understanding when and how to escalate issues
- Agile – able and willing to adapt to change and work in a fast-paced environment
- Relationship management – ability to build relationships and partnerships with multiple and diverse stakeholders, including Project Partners, government agencies, community groups and landowners, and communicate clearly with SBN members and team
- Communication skills – strong skills in all levels of verbal and written communication
- Data driven – comfortable dealing with and collating a number of data points and collecting information from our Partners. Confident at using Excel
- Technical proficiency – Experience using project management tools (e.g. Monday or similar), Microsoft office package, WordPress website editing tools, design web applications (e.g. Canva) social media scheduling tools (e.g. Buffer). Quick to pick up the use of new software and applications
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Looking for someone with science/environmental based degree with a foundation in ecological systems and restoration
Please apply for this role via Seek.
Please note, our intern programme is temporarily on hold due to Covid-19 restrictions and limited capacity.
At SBN staff and interns work together to help deliver a range of services to members both in person and online. Members are encouraged to make a contribution towards our four transformation areas by providing expertise, collaborating on projects, participating in events and conferences, or showcasing their work at our annual Awards and other events.
Internships are unpaid voluntary positions. They are often filled by students who are working towards or have completed an academic course of study and usually have a specific focus to complete a particular task or project.
At SBN you’ll gain knowledge and experience in sustainability from our leading sustainability practitioners and we hope that you will gain both personal and job satisfaction.