Organisation Category: Other Services
Home to over 500 indigenous and exotic animals, Wellington Zoo is New Zealand’s first zoo and became a charitable trust in 2003.
Established in 1906, Wellington Zoo is Wellington’s oldest conservation organisation. Recognised as a centre of excellence for sustainability and animal care, Wellington Zoo continuously proves its reputation as ‘the best little zoo in the world’.
Wellington Zoo was proud to become the world’s first carboNZero certified zoo in 2013, and since 2012 has opened four innovative and sustainable new exhibits:
- The Asia Precinct: the state-of-the-art home for our Malayan Sun Bears and Sumatran Tigers
- Green Zoo, Green You: an environmentally-friendly space within the Zoo to share our sustainability journey with our visitors
- Hero HQ: our award-winning reptile and invertebrate house, constructed from recycled materials
- Neighbours: a walk-through Australian precinct home to Tasmanian Devils, Kangaroos, Wallabies, Emu, Dingoes, Water Dragons, Brolga Crane and Cape Barren Geese
Wellington Zoo is an accredited member of the Zoo and Aquarium Association Australasia, and a member of the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums.
- More InfoSustainability Highlights: Clean Energy-Energy EfficiencySustainability Actions:
Wellington Zoo is proud to be the world's first carboNZero certified zoo. Our sustainability initiatives stem from our commitment to reduce the environmental and social impact of our activities, and in the last five years we have reduced our production of waste and our consumption of water and power. Our carboNZero accreditation means a commitment to reducing our emissions by a further 0.8% each year.
At Wellington Zoo we believe in responsible purchasing. We encourage our visitors to think about what they buy, and how they can help stop the destruction of natural habitats. Wellington Zoo supports FSC to promote responsible management of our native forests.
We advocate a ‘reduce, reuse, recycle’ message, using labelled waste bins throughout the Zoo to separate recyclable materials, compost and landfill.Awards and Certifications: carboNZero
Listing last updated 22/08/2017