Organisation Category: Education & Training
Toimata Foundation is a charitable trust focussed on creative sustainability. In partnership with Te Mauri Tau we run two main programmes: Enviroschools and Te Aho Tū Roa. Our programmes are collaborative, empowering, and action-focussed.
Our kaupapa is sustainability through learning, to bring about a healthier, peaceful, more equitable world through creativity and action.
Sustainability has many different interpretations. To us it means living in a country where people work with positive energy to connect with each other, their cultural identity and their land, to create a healthier, peaceful, more equitable society. It is the regeneration of resilient, connected communities in which people care for each other and the environment, value indigenous knowledge, and celebrate diversity so that everyone thrives.
We believe this can be achieved if we learn together in empowering and action-oriented ways.
At the heart of our organisation are a number of core values. These values are the essence of our educational approach, they determine the content of our programmes, guide our actions, and direct our interactions and relationships with others.
- Empowerment of individuals and communities, to be strong in our own identities and have the skills, competence and confidence to be change-makers in our communities.
- Inter-generational connection, to allow old wisdom to come together with new ideas to produce inspired solutions and strong communities.
- The revival and survival of Te Reo Māori and the integration of Māori concepts as sustainability solutions.
- Manaakitanga where people are cared for and nourished throughout their learning, their work and their lives.
- Diversity, in people and ideas, embracing different ways of being, and working together to achieve common goals.
- Creativity involving our head, heart and hands, to stimulate individual and collective innovation, meaning and satisfaction.
- Whanaungatanga and the interconnectedness of all living things, including the physical, spiritual and emotional connection between humans, plants, animals and the wider environment.
Toimata Foundation supports two nationwide programmes:
- Enviroschools: an action-based approach to education in English-medium school, colleges, and Early Childhood Education (ECE) centres, through which children and young people plan, design and implement sustainability projects and become catalysts for change in their families and wider communities.
- Te Aho Tū Roa: a programme in Te Reo Māori working with kōhanga/puna reo, kura, wharekura and communities that celebrate Māori culture and seeks to strengthen connections – ‘People to People’ and ‘People to Place’.
Enviroschools is a whole school/centre approach that follows a process of exploration, planning, action and reflection about sustainability. This learning process empowers students to take meaningful action in their own environment. The mission and kaupapa of Enviroschools is to contribute to sustainability through learning.
Te Aho Tū Roa is a programme in Te Reo Māori that works with kōhanga/puna reo, kura, wharekura and communities, and embraces Māori culture, language and wisdom. Te Aho Tū Roa is the cord that connects and sustains us, joining us to those who have gone before and to those who will come after us.
Listing last updated 22/08/2017