For years SBN members have asked us for a better platform to provide structured, in-depth advice to individual businesses. Here’s our answer.
We know better than anyone the diversity of needs within NZ’s ever-evolving sustainable business sector. We’re experts across the gamut of sustainability‑related fields, and we’re intimately familiar with NZ’s commercial landscape.
SBN CEO Rachel Brown says: “This is something people have been asking from us for years. SBN Advisory offers exclusive time with our experts in bespoke packages to meet the immediate sustainability needs of your business.”
“In creating our first Transparency report, we chose to partner with the Sustainable Business Network. Their input on the format, content, data crunching and copy writing of the report was invaluable. Their data analysis was particularly impactful, as they were able to take our raw data and translate it into meaningful insights. The team at SBN were fantastic to work with and we look forward to collaborating on future projects.”
Meredith Dawson-Lawry, Global Sustainability, Quality & Compliance Manager, Icebreaker
“We’ve been using SBN’s Advisory service since December 2016 to explore a deeper approach to our sustainability strategy across the business. Although the project is still ongoing, we’ve enjoyed the SBN approach which marries a skilled advisory service with a real consideration for our company’s needs and context – whilst still asking the tough questions, and challenging the status quo. We’re looking forward to completing the project and launching into the next stage of our journey – and I’m sure SBN will be right beside us in future projects.”
Jemma McCowan, General Manager, Marketing, New Zealand King Salmon
The SBN Advisory Service is designed to help your organisation succeed sustainably. We can help you identify and capitalise on opportunities for rapid improvement, in ways tailored to your unique situation. Our belief is that that will move us towards the SBN vision of a thriving private sector in a sustainable NZ.
Here’s how we approach an Advisory partnership:
- We work at a pace comfortable to you and according to your genuine needs,
- We provide robust independent advice,
- We are NZ-focused, while keeping an eye on global best-practice,
- We can signpost to our members when it’s their help you need,
- And we help build your capability and confidence so that you can do more yourself in the future.
What we offer
Our first step will always be to work with you to understand your genuine needs. Based on this, we then tailor our involvement according to how you would like the partnership to work. It’s more of a partnership than a service delivery, with customised rather than pro forma offerings.
Here are some ways we can assist you:
- Surveying your landscape
- Accurately capturing your stakeholders’ perspectives.
- Helping you to better understand the issues that are likely to affect your business’ long-term health.
- Providing a broad understanding of the market from a sustainability perspective, and help interpret broader systems-level and industry-level trends.
- Articulating your position and direction
- Determining a coherent sustainability-focused direction or strategy unique to your business.
- Capturing your position concisely in sustainability principles, goals & objectives.
- Helping you communicate with your internal and external audiences.
- Developing your business through sustainability
- Combining your business’ ambition and opportunity into clear action plans your business can deliver against.
- Providing advice and strategies for alignment and integration.
Our specific offerings include:
- Stakeholder engagement / materiality assessment
- Sustainability assessment workshop and recommendations report
- Sustainability strategy development
So why wait? We’re here to help your business succeed over the long-term and take its place as part of a truly sustainable NZ. Whether you are starting out or standing out, give James or Phil a call, or complete the form below and we’ll be in touch.
James 021 686155 or Phil 021 835146
The SBN Advisory team
Rachel Brown CEO, Sustainable Business Network
As founder and CEO of SBN, Rachel has played a critical role in advancing sustainable business for more than 15 years. She is a regular presenter, collaborator and driver of action within NZ business. She has many years of technical experience with a range of sustainability assessments and sustainability reporting tools.
James Griffin General Manager Projects and Advisory
James has an extensive commercial background and deep understanding of strategic sustainability issues having previously worked for international and local organisations in the Food and Beverage sector. He has worked at the SBN since 2010 and leads the Advisory and Projects elements of the organisation. His particular focus area is the Circular Economy.
Samuel McGlennon Project Lead, Community
Sam has long been dedicated to meeting the challenges of sustainability, including as an environmental and resource policy analyst for the Australian Prime Minister’s department. Most recently he completed his PhD exploring the business, politics and policy of international trade in deforestation commodities.
Phil Jones Project Lead, Renewables
Phil brings over 10 years of experience helping organisations improve their sustainability performance, with a particular focus on strategy, carbon, energy, waste and procurement. As well as the advisory work, he also leads SBN’s renewables transformation area, focusing on smart transport. He has a background in commercial project management and structured systems design and development.
Andy Kenworthy Communications
Andy has worked on sustainable business communications and fundraising since 2000. His work has spanned the globe across all economic sectors – from field reporting in the Amazon to writing innovation guides for entrepreneurs. He has also been a lead writer on sustainable business for The New Zealand Herald, Idealog magazine and others. His focus is on authenticity – how organisations clearly and honestly demonstrate their desire to do good.