When looking at the options of how best to make a difference at Big Street Bikers, we choose biking infrastructure as the best way to lower emissions as it also increases the health and productivity levels of staff. And who doesn't want healthier, happier streets here in Aotearoa?
You might be aware of the stats but how do you get started with your workforce?
To begin we recommend a quick internal Transport Survey to find out how your staff commute to work. This will help with insight and measure any changes you implement.
Identifying where people live and what their transport options are, is perfect timing as people who may have been in lockdown or isolation reconsider their working from home arrangements. This is the perfect time to discuss making the switch from not using the car for short trips and embedding it in your work culture.
Here are some solutions that might spark options for your workplace:
- This Christchurch business offers their staff $5 every time they bike to and from work and doubles the amount if they bike more than half their annual work days!
A cash incentive is the ultimate motivator, and it doesn't have to be much to see your staff make changes to their transport options. It's been a successful way for this business to get their people on bikes.
- Are your staff unsure about bikes? Auckland Transport offers guided rides to help staff be more confident on a bike and demonstrate where any relevant safe bike paths are. Most people look outside their office and see a busy road. But it’s not about the big streets, it’s about knowing the safe routes and feeling confident. This is essential to allay any concerns.
- Does your business provide free car parks to the exec team? That’s so last century. Forward thinking businesses can offer that money as a bonus instead if they choose to commute by bike and/or public transport. Sonos offered their employees $600 in credit toward a new bike from a local shop when they give up their parking permits and when they logged 60 bike commutes.
- eBikes are expensive, but did you know Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency can help with that? They have an Employer eBike Purchase Support Scheme. This way staff can pay off their eBike over a term using their salary. For bulk purchases of eBikes contact Big Street Bikers.
- Safe bike parking at your workplace or nearby is key. Expensive eBikes or those which may be too heavy to carry into the office can also be a barrier to reduce car trips. Our Locky Docks are not only theft proof, they also come with eBike charging ports (BYO charger) and we’re always keen to hear from private land owners who may have space for a dock outside their business. We are working also with local and regional councils, education facilities and transport hubs to have a nationwide network. We see this as an essential piece of the puzzle to get New Zealand’s emissions down.
The time for action is now! How can you reduce emissions in your organisation?
If you have any questions, the Sustainable Business Network is here to answer all your questions.
Jessica de Heij does Marketing & Communications for Big Street Bikers.