About the programme
Climate Action 20/25 is the Sustainable Business Network's five-year programme to make it easier for SMEs to take action to reduce their carbon emissions and become climate resilient.
The programme has been designed to help SMEs take advantage of the opportunities from, and overcome the barriers to, taking climate action.
We welcome the support of our project partners in helping us with this mahi!
The components of the programme include:
Climate Action Toolbox
The Climate Action Toolbox is a fundamental pillar of the programme. The Toolbox enables users to develop an action plan and provides a carbon calculator. identifies priority action areas based on business type and core activities. It provides tailored advice and support. It showcases smaller businesses leading the way with climate action.
Upskilling & support
SBN is delivering a suite of training and resources and events. We hold regular climate action workshops for SMEs to provide additional support and guidance that is based around the Climate Action Toolbox.
Showcasing to inspire others
Engaging communications is a critical part of the programme. The Toolbox features over 40 case studies of smaller businesses. These will be added to.
SBN, business.govt.nz and and the programme partners are collaborating to deliver an integrated promotions plan. The plan aims to reach more of our target audience - 'mainstream' smaller businesses who know they need to play their part in climate action. Our promotions are multi-channel, including partner websites, electronic direct mail, social channels and search engines.
The impact of the programme is reported regularly. SBN and business.govt.nz has access to a real-time dashboard which shows the usage of the Toolbox. The insights from these data are used to evaluate the Toolbox and programme, and provide input on future developments.
The programme is overseen by a governance group comprising of representatives from SBN, business.govt.nz, and each of the funding partners. It meets monthly.
Refer to the Business & Climate Action for background on smaller businesses and climate action.
The programme was established by the Sustainable Business Network in 2020. The programme is a collaboration of organisations from the public and private sectors that recognise climate action needs to be integrated into the way we do business in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Initiated by the Sustainable Business Network and co-led with business.govt.nz (Ministry for Business, Innovation & Employment), the partner group currently includes BNZ, EECA, NZ Trade & Enterprise, Spark, and Waka Kotahi (NZ Transport Agency). All have been partners since the programme's inception in mid-2020, except Spark which joined the group in January 2022. Meridian Energy were also a valued partner until July 2022. The programme is funded by this group. DNA provides the design and development expertise for the Climate Action Toolbox.
The project is led by SBN and co-managed by SBN and business.govt.nz. The funding partners provide oversight and strategic direction through a governance group. The partners are also involved in the design group and communications group.
How you can get involved
There are many opportunities to get involved. Whether you are a large business, a smaller business, lead a business group, or have a role in supporting businesses with climate action, we have ideas for your involvement. Take a look and contact us to find out more!
If you are a larger business
- Join us as a programme partner. Show your support for climate action by our smaller business community and play a critical role in shaping the direction of the programme. Leverage the positive brand association.
- Promote the Climate Action Toolbox to your customers and suppliers. Encouraging SME's you are involved with to use this simple self assessment tool will help them to reduce their carbon footprint. Contact us for a promotion pack.
- Partner with SBN on a workshop or webinar specifically for your customers or suppliers.
If you lead a business network
- Partner with us to deliver events for the SMEs in your network. We can deliver stand alone workshops or a comprehensive six month programme that includes learn, share and progress elements.
- Promote the Climate Action Toolbox to your network. Contact us for a promotion pack.
- Let us know if you have any climate action leaders within your network - we might feature them as case studies.
If you are a smaller business
- Use the Climate Action Toolbox. Complete the simple self-assessment. Browse the actions and create an action plan to get started!
- Let us know about your climate action and we may feature your business as a case study.
- Keep an eye out for climate action workshops for SME's on our events page for further support. There are a number happening this year as a part of our Starting out in Sustainability series.
Get in touch to find out more on how you can get involved.
The programme has made good progress in its first 18 months. But this is just the start!
In mid-2022 we implemented the next major Climate Action Toolbox release, including a carbon calculator and user reporting.
Our roadmap beyond includes a range of new and enhanced Toolbox features, including:
- Sector-specific information
- Business case feature
- Pledges & targets
- Community pages
- Sharing features
- Enhanced case study
- Offsetting and supporting regeneration projects
- Managing climate risk
In addition to these Toolbox enhancements, we'll keep on improving the range of additional support we provide to our SME users, including through a wider range of workshops and other upskilling activities.
Get in touch
Get in touch with Georgia or Rosa to discuss how you can help Kiwi businesses through the Climate Action 20/25 Programme.